Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Playing with my beads...DiamonDuos, O-Beads & Rondelles



Yesterday I came across the bracelet photo below on Pinterest but it didn't link to a website. So, I have no idea who made the bracelet or if there is a pattern for it anywhere. I think it's a cute design so I made several samples to see how it would look in other colors. It turns out that you really don't need a pattern to make it. The beads are simply strung on the thread up one side and down the other with clasp loops added on the ends. It's a skinny bracelet at only 3/8-inch wide.

Mystery Bracelet???

If this is your bracelet, or if you know who made it, please let me know so that I can give credit to the designer.

I recommend using Fireline to make this because if the thread were to break, the whole thing would come apart. There's really no way to reinforce it other than weaving up and down both sides a couple of times. This bracelet could be made using two needles but I made these samples using one needle.


  • 11/0 seed beads Toho "Nickel Plated" (711)
  • 8/0 seed beads Toho "Nickel Plated" (711)
  • DiamonDuo beads "Antique Silver"
  • DiamonDuo beads "Pastel Montana Blue"
  • O-Beads "Jet Full Chrome"
  • 3x4mm rondelles "#C47" (Chinese)


  • 11/0 seed beads Toho "Nickel Plated" (711)
  • 8/0 seed beads Toho "Nickel Plated" (711)
  • DiamonDuo beads "Chalk Lumi Blue"
  • DiamonDuo beads "Pastel Montana Blue"
  • O-Beads "Full Labrador/Silver"
  • 3x4mm rondelles "#C47" (Chinese)


  • 11/0 seed beads Miyuki "Duracoat Gold" (4202)
  • 8/0 seed beads Miyuki "Duracoat Gold" (4202)
  • DiamonDuo beads "Butter Pecan"
  • O-Beads "Metallic Flax/Gold Matte"
  • 3x4mm rondelles "#C26AB" (Chinese)


  • 11/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457)
  • 8/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457)
  • DiamonDuo beads "Matte Gold"
  • DiamonDuo beads "Pastel Burgundy"
  • O-Beads "Metallic Mix"
  • 3x4mm rondelles "Amethyst AB" (Chinese)


  • 11/0 seed beads Miyuki "Duracoat Gold" (4202)
  • 8/0 seed beads Miyuki "Duracoat Gold" (4202)
  • DiamonDuo beads "Chalk Lumi Green"
  • O-Beads "Metallic Flax/Gold Matte"
  • 3x4mm rondelles "Aqua Gold #B26" (Chinese)


  • 11/0 seed beads Miyuki "Duracoat Gold" (4202)
  • 8/0 seed beads Miyuki "Duracoat Gold" (4202)
  • DiamonDuo beads "Chalk Lumi Green"
  • DiamonDuo beads "Matte Gold"
  • O-Beads "Metallic Flax/Gold Matte"
  • 3x4mm rondelles "Aqua Gold #B26" (Chinese)
 

16 comments:

  1. This is a very beautiful bracelet and really enjoy all the colors you have worked up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a pretty little bracelet and great to see your samples in various colour combinations - always helpful to see various options.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful pattern. It turns out that simple often means beautiful. Best wishes:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to have to get some diamonduos. This bracelet is gorgeous and I love all your color combinations!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore this bracelet, and your sample colors are all amazing.

    I let myself be inspired by this, but I had to change the pattern a little because I don't have any rondelles.
    I am using a 8/0 Matubo bead flanked by two 11/0 demi round Tohos instead of a rondelle.
    It looks a bit different than yours of course, but still retains the general look.

    And because I do not trust bracelets that are just strung in one piece, even when using Fireline, I am looping back through the second hole of each Diamonduo. If you look closely, you can see the thread along the sides of the Diamonduos, but I prefer that to just stringing the whole row.

    Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful creations with us, and for being such an inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yersinia. I agree with you that's it's risky to not reinforce the stitching in some way. If I make this bracelet, I will probably do what you suggested. That's the only place where you can loop back around without thread showing too much.

      Delete
  6. Thank-You! For sharing this with us! It's beautiful! ....I think I'll try one but with drop beads instead of the rondelles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea using drop beads. They will stick out more because the holes are near the ends of them instead of in the middle. Please let us know if they work.

      Delete
  7. where do you get your rondelles, I can only find 3x5

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I buy them at local bead shops and they're Chinese. I've only seen 2x3mm, 3x4mm and 4x6mm. Maybe Czech rondelles come in 3x5mm.

      Delete
  8. Just a thought.. Stephanie (bronzepony on YouTube) has a wrap bracelet with pearls, O beads, crystals and tilas that are just strung on. To reinforce it, on the last pass through the beads, she knots before each pearl and pulls the knot into the pearl. I wonder if the same concept would work here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jean. That idea might work but I wouldn't recommend making all those knots until after reinforcing it once or twice. Otherwise you might find that you can't get through the beads again because of the knots.

      Delete
  9. Yes indeed, it has to be done on the last pass through. I actually finished one last night and it seems very sturdy. Not sure how I can post a photo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just saw this on Pinterest and am excited to try it for straps on a component necklace. If I make that portion only 6" long, I don't think I'll have a problem with it flipping. Thank you so much for all the effort you have put into this blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbs. I made these samples quite some time ago but I seem to recall that they were kind of rigid. If they will go on the long sides of a necklace they might be fine but make sure that they aren't where they would need to curve at all.

      Delete