Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Playing with my beads...Peyote Stitch Earring Samples


The sun came out for a while on Monday so I quickly snapped some photos of some of the earrings I've been working on. Some of the colors in the photo above aren't quite right but the light wasn't all that great. In any case, you can see that I have quite a nice collection of Delica bead colors to play with now and I've been having a blast trying lots of colorways. I also ordered eight more colors which should get here in a few days. Click on the photo above to see it full size.

I called these "samples" but they're all completely finished earrings. All I need to do is make the companion earring for any of the ones I decide to keep for myself or give to someone.

I'm not going to post the supply lists today. I will do that as I post the complete pairs that I make. Either that or I will blog about each of the earring designs separately and will post the bead info at that time.

I will tell you where you can find each of the tutorials that I used to make the "Russian Leaf", "3D Peyote Triangle", "3D Peyote Square" and the solid "Peyote Triangle".

The "Russian Leaf" is from Jill Wiseman's video tutorial which you can watch HERE. Download her free PDF tutorial that accompanies the video HERE.

Watch Kelly Dale's "3D Peyote Square" video HERE.

Watch Kelly's "3D Peyote Triangle" video HERE.

Lastly, I made the solid triangle earrings after watching Sara Spoltore's video tutorial HERE.

Although I'm not all that keen on the square/diamond shaped earring, I love all three of the other designs very much. I'm also having fun coming up with ways to tweak and embellish them. For example, after trying Sara's tiny triangle, I went ahead and made some larger earrings by simply adding more rows. They're a cute size and just big enough that I was able to add some little "flowers". I've also added a similar flower to some of the leaf earrings.

If you look closely, you'll see that I used a variety of methods for attaching the earring wires. After many experiments, I've pretty much decided that I like just using an 8/0 seed bead at the top to attach a jump ring better than a seed bead loop.

So, why not have some fun with Peyote Stitch and Delica beads? It's very relaxing and fun! Please let me know if you have come across any other earring patterns made with Peyote Stitch and Delica beads. I'm not interested in the type of patterns that are made with needlepoint-type charts to create pictures. I enjoy making 3-dimensional shapes such as the ones I'm showing you today.

 

18 comments:

  1. Liking them all - only have one question - where do you find the time??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good question, Jeanne. I honestly have no idea how I do it. I just squeeze in as much beading time as I can and bead like mad.

      Delete
  2. I love your blog! ☺ Thank you for your time. Do you have e-mail newsletter? Stay Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what you mean by a "newsletter" but you can subscribe to my blog using the link on the right hand side where it says "Follow by Email". Every time I post something, you will get a copy of it by email.

      Delete
  3. Thank you, that will be wonderful! With our busy lives, email is my connection with sites I enjoy. Please keep up the fun and enjoyable blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, love your site and the colors you choose!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelly Dale has other 3D shapes on Youtube, the oval and hexagon are pretty cool, and fun to mix shapes to make longer earrings. She made a necklace using all of the 3D shapes.
    I've made several pair of the Russian Leaves and finally broke down and used clear nail polish on the backsides to stiffen them...much better!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll probably try all of her shapes eventually. I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to put nail polish on my earrings. Maybe I'll make a pair with some beads that I'm not keen on and see how it goes. I bought some olive green Delicas that I don't care for that much.

      Delete
    2. ha, i felt the same way so i only polished the backsides!

      this link is on my "someday I'll try that" list: http://www.icreativeideas.com/diy-cute-miniature-beaded-handbags/

      Delete
    3. @ Cally Ross, Jill Wiseman has a tutorial and a link for a product she uses for stiffening her Russian leaves. Linda, I love your blog and your designs.

      Delete
  6. These are amazing! I love your color combos. I can't wait to try some...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lea. Since taking that photo, I've come up with some new variations on the triangle earrings. When you try making them, experiment with making them different sizes. If you try the ones that are open in the middle, try making the opening smaller. Those come out really cute.

      Delete
  7. Linda, love all your earrings!!! This is a link to 3D peyote earrings with different sizes of beads from 15 to 6. https://www.flickr.com/photos/alia_h/2681093193/in/set-72157606248670696 and https://www.flickr.com/photos/alia_h/2681093187/in/album-72157606248670696/ It is not a delicas design, but still nice and could be done in a variety of colors/shapes of beads. And below is a link to a very clear picture tutorial for another version of Russian leafs earrings http://www.firehow.com/2010111121396/how-to-work-diagonal-peyote.html This earrings are a little smaller than yours. Adjustment could be done in the first row. 7 Main Color (MC) beads are used it this tutorial, your earrings need 9 MC beads. The last picture could be used as a template for designs. Best, Raisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Raisa. I just finished making a Russian Leaf from the tutorial that you linked to HERE. It's so cute and tiny. It's about half the size of my other leaves. The technique is pretty much the same as the ones I've been making, but with fewer rows as you mentioned. I'm going to make a few of them and will blog about them sometime. Thanks again for the link.

      Delete
    2. Hi Linda, I am so glad that you found the link useful. I thought that your earrings are of the “right” size, and earrings in the tutorial are too small. So I tried adjusting the tutorial, it didn’t even occur to me to try this version… Best, Raisa

      Delete
  8. Tweaking the colors can be done quickly if you lay a small WHITE dot somewhere on you border... use that with most photo programs to correct your color by matching your white. (usually a dropper showing white) Then you can crop away your border containing your white (or black) matching dot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting idea, Star. Any suggestions for making the white dot? Not all paper is pure white.

      Delete