Monday, January 16, 2017

3D Peyote Triangle Earring with a border


  • 15/0 seed beads Miyuki "Light Bronze" (457L)
  • 11/0 Miyuki Delica beads "Metallic Light Bronze" (DB22L)
  • 11/0 Miyuki Delica beads "Matte Blue Grey" (DB301)

I showed you a pair of these earrings in the same colorway the other day HERE. I wanted to try an idea that I'd seen on Pinterest where someone had added a border around the edge of some similar triangle earrings. Theirs actually had an inner and outer border but I thought I'd keep it simple until I figured out how to do it. Below you can see today's earring next to one of my first triangle earrings which doesn't have a border. I'm not sure which version I prefer. I think it might depend on the main color of the earring whether I want a plainer earring or not. In any case, I'm still experimenting to figure out which rows to add the border to. In this sample, I added a row of bronze beads to the last row on the front of the earring and also in the last row of the back.

You can watch Kelly's YouTube tutorial HERE.

I've been busy making a lot of "Russian Leaf" and "Peyote Triangle" earrings but it might be a while before I can take photos of any of them and blog about them. As of this morning, they're saying that we won't see the sun until Friday. I will keep my camera ready though just in case the sun comes out for a few minutes.


 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Linda,
    I have enjoyed your peyote posts so MUCH! They are just beautiful. I have often wanted to try the stitch but delica beads are so expensive. Do you have a source for them that has a better price? I watch for the sales from Red Panda,Beadaholique etc but they are stil costly. I do not have a bead store close by only Hobby Lobby and Michaels. They only carry a few round Toho colors in 11/0's.
    Thank you for your blog. It is such a fantastic resource.
    I got a 3 month subscription for Bargain Bead Box. It come once a month at about $16.00 including shipping. You get over $40.00 in beads based on a theme. You can go to their facebook for information and the contest they have. In your box you get a coupon for 30% off from their online bead store "Bead Box Bargains". Prices look good but no seed beads. I am not sure if I will continue after my gift subscription is over.. I
    wanted to share the information with you.
    Thank you again,
    Linda from Georgia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda. Yes, Delicas are costly so I'm going to only use them sparingly to make small things like earrings. I bought mine from Red Panda, Aura Crystals and a local bead shop. I've been choosing my colors very carefully and only buy colors that I will actually use. I know that's difficult when buying them online though because you can't see how they really look. Although I bought three colors at the local bead shop, while I was there I jotted down some of the colors that I saw that liked and then ordered them online more cheaply.

      When it came to choosing Delicas in metallic colors, I only got colors that match the seed beads that I have. For example, I bought light and dark bronze, light and dark Duracoat pewter, nickel plated, etc. That way if I need to use seed beads to make a loop, I know that I've got some that match the Delicas.

      Delete