Thursday, September 27, 2018

Juliet Earrings - Turquoise & Lilac


JULIET EARRINGS
  • 15/0 seed beads Toho "Nickel Plated" (711)
  • 8/0 seed beads Toho "Nickel Plated" (711)
  • ZoliDuo beads "Alabaster Lila Vega Luster"
  • SuperDuo beads "Pink Luster Turquoise"
  • 4mm druks "Lilac Vega Luster"


Because the "Juliet Earrings" go so well with the "Dicey Diamonds Bracelet", I wanted to make a pair to go with the bracelet that I blogged about HERE. The problem was that I had used some matte lilac druks in the bracelet and they don't make ZoliDuos in that color. The closest thing that I have are these "Alabaster Lila Vega Luster" ZoliDuos. The color is close but not quite the same. But, I figured that nobody would be able to tell the difference from a distance especially considering that the earrings will be so far away from the bracelet on my wrist.

I was all set to make the earrings when I realized that I don't have any 4mm silver druks. Goodness knows how that could be since I have them in pretty much every color and finish that's out there and I do have them in 3mm. I gave the 3mm druks a try but they aren't the right scale for this design. So, I ended up using druks that are the same color as the ZoliDuos and I quite like how they look together, possibly even more than I would have liked silver druks.





I was a little nervous about using Toho 15/0 nickel seed beads for for the netting around the earrings because their 15/0 beads are notoriously irregular and wonky. I could have used Miyuki nickel beads but they are harder to come by and I'm reserving my stash for extra special beading projects. So, I simply picked out the nicest-looking Toho beads as I went along being careful not to pick up any really oddly shaped ones. They do look fine but they were a real pain to work with because the holes are so tiny. I wasn't able to get back through the top loop as many times as I would have liked even though I used a size 12 needle and 6lb Fireline. I almost never have that problem with Miyuki's 15/0 beads.

Read THIS post for information about this pattern which was adapted from Teresa Morse's "Juliet Bracelet". I have a list of links to online sources for ZoliDuo and PaisleyDuo beads on the right side of my blog under "Where to buy..."



7 comments:

  1. What a beautiful combination of colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!! I haven't worked with the ZoliDuo's yet, did you use left and right for the earrings or just the right ZoliDuo's? Please respond. Thanks, Leslie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leslie. ZoliDuos are flat on the back so they're not reversible. The right ones face one direction and the left ones face the other direction. Each earring is made with two right ZoliDuos and two left ones. The ones where the large end curves to the left are "Left ZoliDuos", the ones that curve to the right are "Right ZoliDuos".

      Delete
  3. I've seen ZoliDuo patterns in a few places with mixed results. I like this one. I've ordered a few sets to experiment. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. ZoliDuos can be finicky about the other beads that are used and sometimes the beadwork comes out warped. I've had very good results with this earring pattern.

      Delete