Saturday, December 26, 2015

Bracelet of the Day: Nevada Bracelet - Lila Vega


NEVADA BRACELET
  • 11/0 seed beads Toho "Permanent Finish Galvanized Starlight" (557PF)
  • 8/0 seed beads Toho "Permanent Finish Galvanized Starlight" (557PF)
  • CzechMates beads "Opaque Amethyst Luster"
  • SuperDuo beads "Chalk Vega"

This set was a Christmas present for my sister-in-law. She saw a photo of Aviva's bracelet on my Pinterest board and mentioned that she loved the design as well as the bead colors that were used. The pattern is from Vivatutorial on Etsy and you can buy it HERE. The diagrams are very clear and easy to follow. I managed to get all of the same color beads that Aviva used her example photo but I didn't have any matching lavender 8/0 seed beads to use in the center of each motif. So, I just used more of the gold metallic beads instead.

This cuff bracelet with six motifs fits a size 6 3/4" wrist and is about 7 1/4 inches long with the clasp and jump rings. I made the pattern as directed except for the clasp loops. I also added some extra reinforcement where the motifs are connected. No matter how many times I circled around those connecting seed beads, it didn't seem very secure to me. So, I also made a couple of circles around through the two CzechMates and the two connecting seed beads and that snugged everything up nicely. The thread shows a little more because of that extra stitching but there are lots of spots where thread shows with this design so I didn't worry about it.

 
I wanted to make some matching earrings but I only had one CzechMate tile bead left after making the bracelet. I came up with these "Juanita Earrings" by adapting some earrings that I saw in a photo online somewhere. I used the same SuperDuos that are in the bracelet and the druks are the same color as the CzechMates.



JUANITA EARRINGS
  • 11/0 seed beads Toho "Permanent Finish Galvanized Starlight" (557PF)
  • 8/0 seed beads Toho "Permanent Finish Galvanized Starlight" (557PF)
  • 4mm druks "Opaque Amethyst Luster"
  • SuperDuo beads "Chalk Vega"

The magnet clasp that I used is a special kind and it was ideal for this cuff bracelet because it is flatter than the usual ball shaped magnet clasps that I usually use. Jane Tyson from LJBeadwork on Etsy sent me a few of her Magsafe magnet clasps to try. They're her own invention and they're made in such a way that the magnets can't come apart while you're wearing your bracelet. One side inserts into the other and it locks in place. They're not quite as easy to fasten as regular magnetic clasps but they're much more secure and definitely easier to fasten on yourself than other kinds of clasps. The Magsafe clasps come in a combo pack of silver and gold clasps. Below are some close-up views of the clasps.



 

4 comments:

  1. i really love that clasp i love the fact it isnt going to open on you and also the fact that the holes you attach with are in the correct position to bead through as a bead
    great addition T x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The drawbacks are that they're a lot more expensive than the Chinese magnetic clasps that I usually use and they only come in silver and gold. I rarely use bright silver or bright gold beads.

      Delete
  2. Hi Linda, thank you for featuring my magnetic clasp. I have very little difficulty openibg and closing it. I pinch the sides between my index finger and thimb and lift the top magnet off the bottom base. To close, I manouver the cap over the base. Because the magnets are very strong unlike some of the early magnet clasps, the ends find each other very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane. I haven't made a bracelet with one of your clasps for myself so I've only tried them out by putting on the bracelets that I've made for others. I'm sure that I'd get the hang of it quickly if I did have my own bracelet with one of them. They're really very clever.

      Delete