Monday, October 22, 2018

Playing with my beads...Harlequin Bracelet Samples


I have Kite beads in three colors but hadn't tried making anything with them until the other day. I just happened to see a pretty bracelet on Pinterest and the link led me to THIS pattern by Norma Jean Dell on Etsy. The pattern description says that it takes 15/0, 11/0 and 8/0 seed beads but I don't see where the 15/0 beads are used. I don't have a copy of the pattern so I can only guess that Norma Jean uses them to attach her clasp. I made my clasp loops differently and didn't need any 15/0 beads.

I made samples in two colorways. I also have some matte black Kite beads that I'd like to try with this design when I have a chance. Below are the lists of beads that I used in each colorway. Note that they only appear to be completed bracelets on my wrist in the photos. I simply draped the samples over my arm in such a way that you can't see the ends. I tried making the turquoise and black sample with Toho gold seed beads first but it looks like Toho beads won't work with this pattern. They cause the beadwork to go all wonky so I re-made the sample with Miyuki beads.


  • 11/0 seed beads Miyuki "Light Bronze" (457L)
  • 8/0 seed beads Miyuki "Light Bronze" (457L)
  • Kite beads "White Red Luster"
  • 6mm 2-hole Cabochons "Chalk White Gold Luster"



  • 11/0 seed beads Miyuki "Duracoat Galvanized Gold" (4202)
  • 8/0 seed beads Miyuki "Duracoat Galvanized Gold" (4202)
  • Kite beads "Metalust Aqua"
  • 6mm 2-hole Cabochons "Jet"



 

3 comments:

  1. I do see three sizes of seed beads in the picture you linked.
    The 15/0 are the rosegold embellishments on top of the kite beads and cabos I think.
    Hers lie a little flatter, while yours curve a bit.
    The 11/0 are the green top beads in along the cabochons, while the 8/0 seem to be the green beads between the kites.

    I do love your colorways, as usual! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you've mentioned it, I see the three different bead sizes now. Somehow I missed seeing the difference in the sizes of the green beads. I had held up a tube of 15/0 seed beads to the other beads and they seemed too tiny to be right but I'll give them a try. I also wondered why Norma Jean's seed beads looked smoother along the edge of the Kites. That would explain it. There's a good chance that Toho beads will work if I use 15/0 beads instead of 11/0.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I think she did use Tohos on that one.
      If the colors on the pic are at least somewhat true to the original, the green beads should be Toho PF 560 (Permanent Finish Galvanized Sea Foam), and the 15/0 are probably PF 562 (Permanent Finish Galvanized Saffron).

      I can imagine though that Miyuki 15/0 would be too tiny to use, those things are... almost microscopic! :D

      Delete