Saturday, May 8, 2021

Video Tutorial - Peyote & Brick Stitch Empress Earrings

  • 8/0 seed beads Miyuki "Duracoat Gold" (4202)
  • 11/0 Miyuki Delica beads "Galvanized Yellow Gold" (DB410)
  • 11/0 Miyuki Delica beads "Opaque Glazed Luster Teal" (DB264)
  • 4mm Czech bicones "Hematite Luster Aquamarine"


As you probably know, I enjoy making peyote and brick stitch earrings. When I saw the latest video by Bronze Pony a few days ago, of course I had to try making some. You can watch her video HERE. What really caught my eye was the addition of the bicone in the center of the earring.


I made the two sample earrings above using two different methods. The peyote stitch earring on the left was made by following the video. I made the earring on the right using only brick stitch just to see if it was possible to do so. Obviously it worked but it was a little tricky adding the bicone. After making two more sample earrings (see them below), I've decided that I prefer the original peyote method but brick stitch does make a slightly stiffer earring. That isn't really important though because I will brush some clear nail polish on the back of any final earrings that I make to stiffen them.



I wondered if 4mm druks would work in place of bicones and they do work quite well. The earring on the left above came out too dark in the colors that I used so I came up with the lighter colorway on the right using the same druks.

I learned something when I made these two sample earrings. I got more neatly shaped earrings by using a relatively loose tension when doing the peyote stitch. I'm not happy with the irregular shape of the gold and turquoise samples and I know now that my tension was too tight.


  • 8/0 seed beads Miyuki "Duracoat Galvanized Dark Mauve" (4213)
  • 11/0 Miyuki Delica beads "Galvanized Cinnamon Brown" (DB460)
  • 11/0 Miyuki Delica beads "Opaque Dark Mauve" (DB735)
  • 4mm druks "Matte Apollo Milky Pink"



  • 8/0 seed beads Miyuki "Duracoat Galvanized Dark Mauve" (4213)
  • 11/0 Miyuki Delica beads "Galvanized Cinnamon Brown" (DB460)
  • 11/0 Miyuki Delica beads "Galvanized Semi-Frosted Berry" (DB1157)
  • 4mm druks "Matte Apollo Milky Pink"


 

Save

8 comments:

  1. So glad to see you and your works of art!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely, all of them. I too, love making these beautiful diamonds. I've only used brick stitch, I'll have to try using peyote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cally. I prefer making them with brick stitch but peyote works better with these because of the center bead. I find that following a color chart is easier with brick stitch and the earrings come out more sturdy and a little neater, in my opinion.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for posting your results. I did wonder about the brick stitch with the center bead. I think I'll just stick with the peyote. I didn't know about using nail polish to stiffen them - what a brilliant idea! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you brush your earrings with clear nail polish, only brush it on the back because it can sometimes affect the color of the beads.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is there a written pattern?

    ReplyDelete