- 15/0 seed beads Miyuki "Duracoat Pewter" (4222)
- 11/0 seed beads Miyuki "Duracoat Pewter" (4222)
- 8/0 seed beads Miyuki "Duracoat Pewter" (4222)
- SuperDuo beads "Jet Matte"
- O-Beads "Jet Full Chrome"
During my weekly search for new beading videos last Friday, I came across THIS Spanish tutorial. The translation is "Drop Earrings with SuperDuos". The earrings are a little larger than I usually wear but I think they're very different and pretty. I should have been working on Christmas projects but my thought was that these might make a lovely gift for someone.
I took notes while watching the video but got a little confused near the end when she made the top component. I got the impression that one or more of the steps were skipped or mentioned so quickly in Spanish that I didn't catch them. I made a sample earring and thought I'd done everything as she instructed. However, I watched the video once more after making these and realized that I hadn't done the top section quite right. It looks fine but it's not quite the same as the ones in the video.
Here is my sample earring:
- 15/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457)
- 11/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457)
- 8/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457)
- SuperDuo beads "Green Turquoise Dark Travertine"
- O-Beads "Metallic Mix"
Since it was my first experiment, I didn't worry about reinforcing the stitching. As a result, the earring is much too soft and doesn't hold its shape well. When I made the black pair, I used 6lb. FireLine and reinforced each step and pulled the beads nice and snug. The earrings are very stable and the bottom components hold their shape well. You'll need about 2 yards of thread per earring.
Other than my mistake with the top component, I only changed one other detail. It's the connection between the motifs. In the video, she doubles the connection for a 3D look. I tried that but didn't like how it looked. Besides, doing it her way means having to go through the 15/0 seed bead in the center of the "X" way too many times which could potentially cause problems.
When I have a chance, I'm going to try making some earrings using only the bottom component. I'm also thinking of combining two SuperDuo colors and see how that looks.