Thursday, July 17, 2014

Bracelet of the Day: Silver Lace



SILVER LACE BRACELET
  • 11/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (11-457D)
  • 2mm Unakite round stone beads (Aura Crystals)

I didn't have much luck making THIS bracelet pattern by Deb Moffett-Hall using the beads that the pattern calls for but I liked the basic design. I even found some of the "daisy spacers" at Beads One. They weren't expensive but I didn't like how they looked in my samples. I didn't take a photo of my first sample because it was looked too wonky to bother. When I used 8/0 seed beads between the 11/0 beads along the edge, they didn't seem to fit right. It was probably just the particular beads I used but I got better results using all 11/0's. Unfortunately, I lost the "lacy" edge effect by doing that. 

UPDATE 4/28/17: Deb's site has been updated and you'll find this pattern HERE.

Here's a photo of the daisy spacers: 

4MM DAISY SPACERS
You can see the daisy spacers in the bottom sample in this photo:


The daisy spacers seem to emphasize the slant of the center columns which is a common feature of the R.A.W. (Right Angle Weave) stitch. This isn't as apparent in the top sample with the pearls because you can't tell that they're tilting due of their round shape. I already have a very similar bracelet with bronze seed beads and pearls (I posted about it HERE), so I used some really cute tiny stone beads in the same size instead. I did run into one little problem with them though. If I make this pattern again, I will replace the round beads on the very ends of the bracelet with seed beads because I wasn't able to get my needle through them more than a couple of times even though I used fine thread. It would have been better if I'd been able to reinforce the end loops better because the jump rings will be pulling on them when I wear the bracelet. I don't think that would have been a problem with pearls. It's just that the stone beads have really small holes.

Here's a close-up photo of the unakite stone beads, which you can buy HERE from Aura Crystals:

2MM UNAKITE STONE BEADS



 

2 comments:

  1. I love your patterns, as you seem to have a similar taste in colours as me. Whenever you post anything not only I love it, but I usually have the necessary beads in my 'magic' drawer and can get to work right away. Thanks! Mia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't it be fun to take a peek inside other peoples' bead stashes? I'm very happy with my collection of beads but it was a lot of work finding some of them, especially the druks.

      Delete