Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Pattern Review: Sidonia's Sunset Glare Earrings


This afternoon I watched Sidonia's YouTube video tutorial and made two sample earrings. You can watch the video HERE. As usual, it's very easy to follow along with Sidonia and see what she's doing. I made the sample on the left while watching the video the first time through. I then watched it again and took down notes so that I could make the other sample without having to sit at my computer. I was using scraps of thread so ignore the white thread that shows in the first sample.

I made one change to Sidonia's pattern because my stones were a little loose in their bezels and I like how they look with my tweak. I added a second, inside round of netting on the fronts. After adding the first round as directed, you'll end up with a color #2 seed bead sticking out toward the center at each intersection. To add the extra round, simply add a string of 5 color #1 seed beads between each of those sticking out beads. This makes a nice little frame around the stone.

I like the second sample, with the pearly ceylon accent beads, but I think I'd like it better with all bronze seed beads on the "petals" that go around the lower section.

These are the beads that I used in my samples:

SUNSET GLARE EARRINGS SAMPLE 1

  • 15/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (15-457D)
  • 15/0 seed beads Miyuki "Brown Bronze Matte" (15-457P)
  • 3mm fire polished beads "Bronze"
  • 4mm fire polished beads "Transparent Gold Topaz Luster"
  • 14mm "Amethyst" rivoli (has a point in the center)
SUNSET GLARE EARRINGS SAMPLE 2
  • 15/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (15-457D)
  • 15/0 seed beads Miyuki "Eggshell Ceylon" (15-421C)
  • 3mm fire polished beads "Ruby"
  • 4mm fire polished beads "Transparent Gold Topaz Luster"
  • 14mm "Garnet" chaton (flat in the center)

4 comments:

  1. Hi Linda:

    I really like the 2nd row on top as well. I made her "oriental earrings" (as a pendant) last night and did the same thing because I liked the way it looked here. I added a row of 15/0's on top of the row of 11/0's and was happy with the outcome. I will try to get some photography done this weekend and post to the Pinterest group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if those little beads that stick out are supposed to simulate the prongs on a real stone setting. I like the look but my rivolis were too loose without the extra row of beads.

      Delete
  2. I've been looking for a new design for framing a rivoli, thank you! this is very classy looking. :)

    ReplyDelete