Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Like Beads for Chocolate

  • 11/0 seed beads Miyuki "Duracoat Galvanized Pewter" (4222)
  • 11/0 seed beads "Diamond" (no info available)
  • SuperDuo beads "Matte Dark Bronze"
  • 3mm fire polished beads "Topaz Pink Luster"

Several years ago, two of my best friends and I took a day trip to Mackinac Island in northern Michigan and the three of us just happen to be chocolate lovers. So, when we spotted this unusual t-shirt in a boutique window display, my friend Lorraine went in and bought one for each of us. We call them our "Chocolate Shirts" for obvious reasons. Although we would probably never intentionally wear our shirts on the same day when we're together, we did have our picture taken wearing them. That's me on the left. I'm the shorty of the three of us and I'm 5'7". The shirts aren't really quite as pink as they look this photo. The color is more dusty rose/peach.



I just happened to have a beautiful pair of earrings that go perfectly with my shirt. They have the same peachy rose color that's in the shirt and they've got tiny "diamonds" on them too. What I didn't have was a bracelet to complete the set so I looked through my bead stash for some colors that would go well with the shirt and the earrings. I found some fire polished beads in a similar rosy color and I had some SuperDuos in a chocolaty brown. I added the crystal clear silver-lined accent beads to simulate tiny diamonds similar to the "bling" on my shirt. They really add sparkle when the light hits them. I went with silver as the main bead color because the earrings have silver on them. Below you can see the complete set:


The bracelet pattern is Teejay's "Duo Bobble Band" which is her adaptation of Deb Roberti's "Bobble Bangles" pattern which you can buy HERE.

UPDATE 1/24/18: A free pattern is now available and the new name for this pattern is "Lizbeth Band". Visit THIS post to download the free pattern.


Below are a couple of photos from our memorable day on Mackinac Island. We rented bikes and rode around the island. There are no cars there, only bicycles and horse-drawn carriages. If you've seen the movie "Somewhere in Time", you might recognize the Grand Hotel in the second photo.




4 comments:

  1. I understand that's a gorgeous place! Always wanted to go there. I love your chocolate shirts! And what a wonderful and memorable inspiration for the colors of your bracelet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you can see the weather was gorgeous that day too. We had sweaters with us because it was cool on the water in the morning and evening taking the ferry to and from the mainland.

      Delete
  2. Love the t-shirts. I really like the earrings. Beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete