Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Bracelet of the Day: Silky Stacker - Lazure Blue


SILKY STACKER
  • 11/0 seed beads Toho "Metallic Bronze Iris" (83)
  • 8/0 seed beads Miyuki "Olivine" (458)
  • Silky beads "Alabaster Lazure Blue"
  • SuperDuo beads "Metallic Suede"

This is another bracelet made with the free pattern from Deborah Roberti. You can download the PDF file HERE. This is one of my favorites of the five that I've made. The odd thing is that each of the other four fit me perfectly with nine Silky beads but this one came out much too long. I'll eventually remake it with one less Silky bead and add some extra jump rings if necessary.

The SuperDuos that I used are an unusual "Metallic Suede" color that I found at Beadoholique, which is a local bead shop. The label just said "Metallic Suede" with no color mentioned. The color is very similar to "Suede Gold" but it's quite a bit darker. It's also a lot lighter than the color called "Suede Dark Green". It could just be a different dye lot of the gold ones but I can't say for sure. I'm pretty sure that the shop also had some of the gold ones what were labeled "Suede Gold".

Making this bracelet was the first time I got to use the Toho "Metallic Bronze Iris" seed beads that I bought recently. I didn't realize until I got them in the mail that they're almost the same color as Miyuki's "Olivine". They are a little different though. Olivine has a lot more color variations and more purple beads in the mix. The Toho version is a lot more brownish bronze and the beads seem a little larger than Miyuki's. I like these Toho beads better. They also have some purplish beads in their mix but it's a much more subtle color that blends in better with the brown/bronze beads. When I ordered them from Aura Crystals, they didn't have any in 8/0 but the Olivine color is close enough that the difference isn't noticeable in this bracelet.





11 comments:

  1. I think the difference in length might be due to using Toho 11/0 instead of miyuki 11/0. I've often had the same problem when using Toho instead of Miyuki.
    Love your site by the way, you always make the loveliest creations and you have a wonderful eye for color combinations. You're doing a great job, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably right about the Toho beads, Helena. I normally use Miyuki seed beads and the Toho ones seemed fatter. It's hard to believe that they could make such a huge difference though. That bracelet is a good half inch longer than the other four or maybe more.

      Delete
  2. Once again....beautiful colors. So nice of you to tell us the colors.Helps me very much. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you tell me where to get the magnetic clasp you used? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ordered them from China but the eBay shop I bought them from no longer sells them. However, you might be able to find similar ones on eBay. Shipping from China is usually free and the clasps are very cheap.

      Delete
    2. Here's another eBay shop that still has magnet clasps and I ordered some from them last month. They have some that look a lot like the ones on this bracelet. The tiny ones like that are 6mm. The "normal" size clasps are 8mm. I bought the ones with the stripes on them. They're my favorite kind.

      http://tinyurl.com/k4mplwq (striped clasps)
      http://tinyurl.com/m979zf6 (smooth clasps)

      Delete
  4. I just got my magnetic clasps in the mail this morning from China. I order on March 20th. and got them this soon. 20 pieces magnetic bronze for $5.99 free shipping. Can't beat that! The quality is excellent. Very strong magnetic. I got them here http://www.ebay.com/itm/20pcs-Round-Bronze-Magnet-Clasps-CCL6910-Free-Shipping-/110736811677?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:CA:3160

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great deal, Marge, and unbelievably fast shipping. I've never bought anything from that shop. It says that their shipping is a dollar. How did you get free shipping? It's kind of odd that they're showing a photo of silver clasps but the description says they're bronze. Are they really bronze? The size isn't mentioned, which is also odd. They look like they're probably medium size from the photo.

      Delete
  5. LOL...it"s save a dollar if you order $20.00 or more. I'm still wondering how they got here so fast too but the envelope said from China. They are a nice bronze color 6mm. with the stripes. I really like them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry....the clasps are 8mm. Sorry about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I thought. 6mm are the tiny ones like I used on this bracelet.

      Delete