Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Playining with my beads...Two new earring video tutorials by Sidonia

I know that I should be working on my Christmas beadwork but I just heard through Jeanie Callaghan that Sidonia has two new video tutorials out as of Monday. I especially liked the seed bead earrings but I also thought that the "Bollywood Earrings" were interesting enough to give them a try. I wasn't sure if they'd be something I would wear but I wouldn't know until I made them and tried them on. Here are the links to both videos:

Beaded Earrings Tutorial

Bollywood Earrings Tutorial

I don't like to do my beading while sitting at my computer so I watched both videos once and then watched them each again and wrote down the steps as she did them. That way I was able to sit comfortably on the couch with my beads and also have sufficient light.

The seed bead earrings are very quick and easy to make and only need four kinds of beads, if you add the drop bead. I think I prefer them without a drop though. Because of the large size beads, I recommend using regular Nymo D thread to give the earrings more stability. I think they'd come out very soft with FireLine or Nymo B thread. As you can see in one of my sample earrings, I added an accent color for two of the druks.

Next I tried connecting a few motifs to see how they'd look in a bracelet. It's kind of pretty, isn't it? In my sample, I tried three different color ideas. I think that I like the colored druks to be in the center of the motif the best. I didn't think about connecting the motifs until after I'd created three of them and I think I'd like the bracelet better if the motifs shared the 8/0 seed bead on the end. I haven't worked out how to make it that way but I think I know what I'd need to do. I'd have to make the first motif and then during the process of making the second motif I would weave in through the end bead of the first motif instead of adding a new bead when I get to that point. I'll give it a try and will post a photo later.



  • 11/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457D)
  • 8/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457D)
  • 4mm druks "Bronze"
  • 4mm druks "Siam Matte"
  • 4mm druks "Matte Hurricane Lace Lichen"
  • 4mm druks "Rosaline Matte Luster"
  • Drop beads "Black" and "Amethyst AB"

I'm still not sure how well I like the "Bollywood Earrings". They're a bit over-the-top. They're big, but not huge and I do love the details on them. The bezel is very pretty too. However, my earrings came out a little bit warped because I used Chinese bicones instead of Swarovski. The Chinese bicones are larger so they spread the seed beads out a little too much. I may need to tweak something somewhere to account for their size. I've got 12mm rivolis in two other colors so I'll make a couple more samples to see if I like them better than this one. I also just remembered that I have some black 3mm Chinese bicones that are closer to the size of the Swarovski ones so I'll try those next. Black will go with all of the rivoli colors that I have. Besides the "Seal" one that I used in the sample below, I also have some "Opaque Black" ones and some "Bermuda Blue" ones.


  • 15/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457D)
  • 3mm bicones "Green AB" (from China)
  • 12mm Swarovski rivoli "Seal"


6 comments:

  1. You've done such a good job! I do like the accent colors on the 4mm beads. I was wondering how 4mm firepolish would work on the pattern. Your Bollywood looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I was just thinking about bicones but I think 4mm bicones might be too long for the space. I'd have to try it but I think 3mm might fit better. Bear in mind though that I'm talking about Chinese bicones, which are longer than Swarovskis.

      Delete
  2. I love the seed bead earrings- I like them better without the drops. I got notice this morning of the new tutorial in my email since I am a Sidonia subscriber, but it only showed the Bollywoods in the email photo so I never clicked on it. I really like that you connected the earrings to make a bracelet- so cute. Thanks for the update and all your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of subscribing to Sidonia. I usually just browse the YouTube beading channels periodically to see if there's anything new. Right now I'm making a bunch of the bezels from the Bollywood earrings in different colors. Next I'll have to come up with a way to turn them into earrings. The bezel works perfectly for 10x12mm oval chatons, which is what I'm using. I've got those in several colors. I'll try to get some photos of them tomorrow.

      Delete
  3. oh, I meant to mention, we have a way to watch youtube on our tv's and since there is a tv in my beading room (it's also my sewing and drawing room) I just watch from there. Makes life easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me more, Dolly. How do you get YouTube on your TV? We've got an XBox for watching Netflix. Is it something like that?

      Delete