Thursday, February 23, 2017

Bracelet of the Day: Roulette - Elderberry & Gold


ROULETTE BRACELET
  • 11/0 seed beads Toho "Antique Bronze" (223)
  • 8/0 seed beads Toho "Antique Bronze" (223)
  • 7mm CzechMates 2-hole cabochons "Matte Metallic Flax"
  • 7mm CzechMates 2-hole cabochons "Pacifica Elderberry"
  • SuperDuo beads "Matte Milky Amethyst"
  • SuperDuo beads "Bronze Pale Gold"

I decided to alternate the colors of the motifs in this bracelet because I wasn't sure if I had enough of the gold SuperDuos. It turned out that I did but I'm glad that I made it this way. I think it would have looked a little boring with so much gold. Plus, I had SuperDuos in a color that's nearly identical to the Elderberry cabochons and this way I got to use those too.


I have good news about what I thought was a problem with SuperDuos that are 2.5x5mm vs the ones that are 2x5mm. It turns out that only certain colors are troublesome after I did some more experiments last night.

First I tried making a motif using Twin beads as someone suggested in a comment. I can safely say that the person who did the tutorial online definitely did not use Twin beads in the example photos. Twin beads have a completely different shape than regular SuperDuos. They're also a little smaller than real SuperDuos so the motif came out very tiny and the cabochon didn't fit in the hole at all.

Next I chose some SuperDuo beads at random that were labeled as 2.5x5mm. The motif came out perfect and it inspired me to try a few more tests!

Next I used a color that I knew I had tried before that didn't work. They're just plain opaque glossy black SuperDuos. Once again, the hole in the center of the motif was too small for the cabochon. So, I tried making a motif with 6/0 seed beads instead of 8/0 beads. That helped but the motif was still too wonky.

There were two or three other SuperDuo colors that I had tried before but I couldn't recall what they were. So, for my final experiments I chose four more colors that I know for a fact are 2.5x5mm because I got them from Red Panda. Every one of them made perfect motifs and the cabochons fit nicely in the holes.

I will try to take photos of all of these samples this afternoon. I will add the photos to Friday's post along with the bead color information.


You'll find the free "Roulette" bracelet tutorial HERE. Read my previous post, HERE, for details about what I changed to make the pattern work with the 2-hole cabochons.


 

3 comments:

  1. love the colors, and love the idea of switching superduos and cabochon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love ALL of your work!!!


    Leanda

    ReplyDelete