Monday, May 4, 2015

Princess Earrings

Last year I took a class at a local bead shop called Beadoholique. The class was taught by Robin Smith and the "Princess Earrings" pattern is her creation. Here are some photos of Robin's earrings as well as a necklace that she adapted from the earring pattern:


Robin's version calls for 4mm bicones and 11/0 seed beads so the earrings come out very large. I recently decided to give the pattern a try using smaller beads and the earrings are the perfect size for me and I think the design actually works better with smaller beads. When I have a chance, I'll make a full size earring and show you the two sizes side by side.

While making some sample earrings, I came up with my own little dangle for the bottom of them and also experimented with not adding a drop bead at all. Instead I make a little seed bead picot to finish off the bottom of the earrings. I really like them like that too. I blogged about my crystal drop idea HERE.

Below are some of my sample earrings along with the beads that I used to make them. Note that, as far as I know, this pattern is not available for sale anywhere. I'm posting them strictly for inspiration.



  • 15/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457D)
  • 11/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457D)
  • 8/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457D)
  • 3mm fire polished beads "Bronze Illusion"
  • 3mm druks "Bronze"
  • 7x10mm drop bead "Amethyst"


  • 15/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457D)
  • 11/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457D)
  • 8/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457D)
  • 3mm fire polished beads "Opaque Rose and Topaz Luster"
  • 3mm druks "Bronze"
  • 7x5mm drop bead "Crystal Celsian"



  • 15/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457D)
  • 11/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457D)
  • 8/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457D)
  • 3mm fire polished beads "Light Sapphire Gold Marbled" *
  • 3mm druks "Bronze"
  • 7x5mm drop bead "Black Diamond AB"

* I've only seen this color at Aura Crystals HERE. I used this same color in a "Tokyo Rows Bracelet" that I blogged about HERE.

Here are a couple sample earrings that I made without a drop bead. I think I like this version even better than with the drop bead.




  • 15/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457D)
  • 3mm fire polished beads "Ruby"
  • 3mm druks "Bronze"


  • 15/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457D)
  • 3mm druks "Frosted Montana Blue"
  • 3mm druks "Bronze"


UPDATE: Although I can't post the "Princess Earrings" pattern, I can suggest a few tutorials that might help you to figure out how to make them. The "Easter Earrings" look similar but they're round rather than heart-shaped. You can find that free tutorial HERE. One problem that I found when I tried making the "Easter Earrings" was the way that she makes the "Hana Ami" motif at the top. Her method doesn't make a secure motif because she doesn't start with a ring of beads in the center. I suggest using Deborah Roberti's method instead and you can find Deb's free tutorial HERE.

UPDATE: You can download the free "Princess Earrings" pattern from THIS post.

Also, the "Esmeralda" earring pattern uses the same kind of Right Angle Weave technique as Robin's "Princess Earrings". You can watch the YouTube video HERE. There's also an "Esmeralda" pattern for sale on Etsy, HERE.


23 comments:

  1. That's a really nice pattern, and, as usual, you have created such lovely variations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer them with the smaller beads as well. I also like the brickwork you added on the teardrop (if that's what it is). Really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. As I mentioned, there is no pattern available. This is from a class that I took at a local bead shop.

      Delete
  4. Too bad there is no pattern available!! She would sell lots after everyone sees your beautiful samples Shame on you showing us and then saying we can't get the pattern LOL. Hugs Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about that, Ann, but they're too pretty not to share. I wish I could think of a way to be able to share Robin's pattern and bring her a little extra income. I'm worried though that posting it on my blog might take away from what she earns with her classes. Perhaps I'll talk to her about it next time I see her and see what she says.

      Delete
    2. Did you ever receive an answer?
      Is there any way to purchase this tutorial?
      Kathy

      Delete
    3. I haven't asked Robin about it, Kathy. Last time I was there she wasn't working that day. A Russian woman has posted her version of the tutorial as well as a video HERE but she makes them a little differently than Robin does.

      Delete
  5. What did it cost for the class? Perhaps she would be willing to sell a class package to those of us who live too far away to take the class in person? Hugs Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The class was $25. That would be a very expensive pattern and how would I get the money to Robin?

      Delete
  6. You are right $25.00 for a pattern is too much even though they really are lovely. Guess I will just have to study yours and play with some beads ad thread. Sure wish we had an active bead store here I loved going to classes. Ours were $20.00 but they stopped offering classes because people signed up and weren't obliged to pre-pay and then just didn't show up on the night of the class and the shop owner had to pay the teacher even when there was only a couple of people showed up. It was fun getting out for an evening and then seeing what others in the class made. Hugs Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do have to pre-pay for classes at that shop. I can see why that would be a good thing. I was the only attendee at that earring class that night. It was fun though. Robin and I sat and chatted long after the class had ended.

      Delete
  7. These are absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Were any of you ever able to purchase the tutorial for the princess earrings and necklace?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy. There is no tutorial for sale. After taking the class, I made a tutorial for the woman who teaches it. She uses my tutorial as the handout for her classes now. She previously had no printed tutorial to give her students so she was glad that I made one for her. But, since it is her design, I can't give away or sell her tutorial.

      Delete
    2. I haven't asked her about that, Kathy.

      Delete
  9. Wow. Thanks for showing the pics and for the links. Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just added an update to my above post with a link to the free "Princess Earrings" pattern.

      Delete
  10. Wow so awesome ! I am so happy she gave you the pattern to share with us. Thank you for the inspiring pictures of your creations i think i do like the smaller beads also but i will try both to see for myself. Kathy preble

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't believe so many wonderful and inspiring patterns. the mind of these women is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Per cortesia se puoi scrivere in Italiano grazie :

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Io non parlo italiano. Potresti usare Google Translate.

      Delete