Last night I made a few samples of Sam Wescott's "Toying with Tiles" pattern which you can buy on Etsy HERE. I think you can see that the beads you use can make a big difference in the outcome. I used some irregular Matsuno copper beads in the sample on the far left and the netting is all wonky. The sample on the far right looks pretty neat but the netting sticks up a little because the SuperDuo beads that I used are short and fat. The sample in the center is the best of the three because the SuperDuo beads are long and thin, I used good quality seed beads and I also used Nymo B thread, which is extra fine. I used some cheap thick thread on the other two samples so it sort of piled up on the SuperDuo beads causing a hump. Nymo B is so fine that it doesn't seem to build up with multiple passes through the beads. FireLine should work about the same.
My two favorite color combos are the middle sample and the pink one on the right. Here's the break-down on the beads I used:
FAR LEFT SAMPLE:
- 15/0 seed beads Matsuno "Copper" (15-457A)
- 11/0 seed beads Miyuki "Matte Root Beer" (11-135F)
- CzechMates "Milky Alexandrite Copper Picasso"
- SuperDuo beads "Opaque Violet Dark Travertine"
- 15/0 seed beads "Metallic Chocolate" (no info available)
- 11/0 seed beads Toho "Hybrid Light Beige Picasso" (11-Y306)
- CzechMates "Milky Caramel Bronze Picasso"
- SuperDuo beads "Matte Ultra Green Luster"
- 15/0 seed beads Miyuki "Light Bronze" (11-457L)
- 11/0 seed beads Toho "Inside-Color Montana Blue/Oxblood Lined" (TR-11-363/c)
- CzechMates "Opaque Rose Gold Topaz Luster"
- SuperDuo beads "Crystal Bronze Pale Gold"