Monday, May 19, 2014

Bracelet of the Day: SuperDuo Rosette Variation


SUPERDUO ROSETTE BRACELET VARIATION
  • 11/0 seed beads Miyuki "Brown Bronze Matte" (11-457P)
  • 8/0 seed beads Miyuki "Brown Bronze Matte" (8-457P)
  • 3mm druks "Champagne" (Nirvana Beads)
  • SuperDuo beads "Metallic Suede Olive"
  • Bronze filigree clasp (Beadaholique)

Yesterday I finally made two of these bracelets for myself. I've made the pattern many times but always gave the bracelets away as gifts. After trying a few different color combinations, I came up with two scrumptious bracelets. The colors are actually almost the same in both of them but reversed. To keep them from looking identical, I used different seed beads and clasps on them.

The reason that I'm calling this a variation, is because I tweaked the way the netting beads are added. If you follow the pattern as written, the netting can sometimes come out a little loose which sometimes allows the thread to show along the edges of the SuperDuo beads. I got this idea from a tweak that Laurie Brennan came up with for another of Sam Wescott's patterns called "Toying with Tiles". That pattern has similar netting around SuperDuos and she came up with a way to anchor them so that they stay put. I'd actually tried something like that with the "SuperDuo Rosette" pattern before, without much luck, but this time I did it a little differently. This does change the look of the netting a little but not really in a bad way. And, when I use larger seed beads, the change is hardly noticeable.

The changes are in steps 5 and 6 of the tutorial. In both steps, when told to add a new SuperDuo bead, instead I picked up an 11/0 seed bead, an 8/0 seed bead, another 11/0 seed bead and then the SuperDuo bead and proceeded as directed. Those three seed beads are the anchor beads which you will go through at the end when you add the remaining netting beads. Depending on the sizes of the seed beads you use, you'll either add 3 more 11/0's on either side of the anchor beads or 2, if you're using larger beads like I did in this bracelet. Just use however many fit the best. I also used 8/0 seed beads between the motifs instead of 11/0's.

If you can't find the "Champagne" druks, "Opaque Green Luster" druks look very similar. They're just a little more green.

I'll post the other bracelet tomorrow. In the meantime, you can buy Sam's wonderful pattern, HERE.




7 comments:

  1. wow i love it ..i love how the edge seems more constant and edgy and your color pallet as always is yummy
    T.. i must try your tweak ..now....lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy, did I ever mess up what I wrote above. I'd better correct those bead sizes. I also forgot to mention that I used 8/0 seed beads between the motifs instead of 11/0's. Doh!

      Delete
  2. I would to get some off your Pattern what is the is the pay ommmm\n them Like to order some emoore43@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what you're asking, Erika. If you want to buy this bracelet pattern, there is a link to Sam Wescott's Etsy shop in my post.

      Delete
  3. Linda thank you so much for sharing this tip. I like you, love this pattern but always had to much thread showing. This makes a huge difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so thrilled to have found this page! I have been looking for a way to anchor those netting beads on the rosette bracelet! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam updated the pattern a while back and I suspect that she added in this tweak because it works so well.

      Delete