- 11/0 seed beads Toho "Metallic Bronze Antique Gold" (225)
- 8/0 seed beads Miyuki "Brown Bronze" (457P)
- SuperDuo beads "Crystal Grey Rainbow"
- 3mm fire polished beads "Matte Brown Iris"
This started out as a variation of the "Duo Bobble Band" pattern but I ended up embellishing it to the point where it no longer looks much like "Duo Bobble Band" at all. So, I've decided to give it its own name and I will write up the instructions for it when I have the time. I might even post the pattern for download here but if I do it won't be until after the holidays.
I love the way that this bracelet turned out. It's very soft and flexible and I think that may be due to the semi-matte seed beads that I used. For that reason, I think the pattern needs more testing to make sure that it will work well with other kinds of beads. As a test, I did make one small sample using shiny metallic seed beads. I also tested to see if 3mm druks would work in place of the fire polished beads. Below is my sample and a list of the beads that I used to make it:
- 11/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457D)
- SuperDuo beads "Aquamarine Dark Travertin"
- 3mm fire polished beads "Smoky Topaz Luster"
- 3mm druks "Smoky Topaz Luster"
I used druks on the left side of the sample and fire polished beads on the right side. The stitching seems a little tighter and more crowded with shiny seed beads which caused the seed beads in the center of each scallop to pop out a bit, especially over the druks. This also causes the edges of the scallops to curl over a little, at least with druks. I don't want to omit that seed bead though because it gives the scallops stability. I also don't want to make the scallops any larger so it looks like the best option is to use fire polished beads. I might also try replacing the center 11/0 seed beads with 15/0 beads and see if that give more room for the druks/fire polished beads. I have a feeling that probably won't work well though. I think it might turn the scallops into points and that's not the look I'm going for.
This bracelet takes a lot of thread and I had to use Nymo B because of the number of passes through some of the beads. FireLine would also work but it would be very expensive to use 5 yards or more of it. I started with a 4-yard length and then added another 2-3 yards to add the embellishment. Bear in mind that I was making this bracelet for myself so it's a very small size. I made this one 6 inches and it's a little loose on my wrist but, if I'd left off a motif, it would have been too tight. Obviously it would take a lot more thread for a larger bracelet.