Wednesday, May 13, 2015

YouTube Beading Tutorial - Dream Empress Bracelet


I saw this on Pinterest recently and just had to give it a try. I have to say that it was a bit of a challenge because the video is in Russian and it's very hard to see what she's doing. I had to watch it through several times just to be sure how many beads she picked up in each step. 

Once I had worked out how to make the basic motif, I ended up tweaking the procedure a little. For one thing, it makes a difference which brand of seed beads you're using. With Toho beads you need to use fewer beads around the motif than you do with Miyuki seed beads. Using the right number of beads for the brand of seed beads also results in neater motifs. I also noticed that she makes the right side of the motif differently than the left side so I adjusted it so that both sides are mirror images of each other. I think that makes the motifs look more evenly shaped.  Adjusting the method for making the left side of the motif also fixed a little problem where the ends of the two SuperDuos don't form a nice point using her method. As you can see in some of my samples below, her way causes a gap near the rondelle in the center on that side. It's not a problem on the other side of the motif because you start with those two SuperDuos and add the third one between them.

The tutorial calls for 3mm rondelles but I found that 3mm druks work just as well and that allows for more color options to go with the SuperDuos. I don't think that fire polished beads will work though because the holes go the long way through them. The holes in the 3mm beads go up and down rather than lengthwise in this design.

Click HERE to watch the video. 



  • 11/0 seed beads Toho "Bronze" (223)
  • 8/0 seed beads Toho "Bronze" (223)
  • SuperDuo beads "Baby Blue Stardust"
  • 3mm druks "Jet" OR 3mm rondelles "Black" 
OR
  • 11/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457D)
  • 8/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457D)
  • SuperDuo beads "Baby Blue Stardust"
  • 3mm druks "Jet" OR 3mm rondelles "Black"



  • 11/0 seed beads Toho "Metallic Bronze Antique Gold" (225)
  • 8/0 seed beads Toho "Metallic Bronze Antique Gold" (225)
  • SuperDuo beads "Opaque Ivory" or "Chalk Copper Picasso"
  • 3mm druks "Jet"


  • 11/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457D)
  • 8/0 seed beads Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457D)
  • SuperDuo beads "Polychrome Copper Rose"
  • 3mm rondelles "Amethyst AB"

I was going to make a single bracelet like the above sample but I've decided that I'd rather use a contrasting color for the 3mm beads in the center of the motif. I think I might also decrease the length of the "chain" between the motifs.

After making several little samples to get the pattern just right, I tried making a double bracelet by connecting two bracelets where the clasp is attached. I like how it turned out but I think it really needs to have three bracelets like you see in her photo above. Mine looks off balance somehow with just two. It came out a little too big for me anyway so I might try adding a third bracelet when I re-make it. I'm thinking that if I remove one or two "links" from each length of "chain", it should fit me just right.



  • 11/0 seed beads Toho "Bronze" (223)
  • 8/0 seed beads Toho "Bronze" (223)
  • SuperDuo beads "Green Iris Matte"
  • 3mm druks "Metallic Suede Light Green"
 

30 comments:

  1. Completely gorgeous! Props to you for being able to do a Russian video! It's such a lovely piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhhhhh gorgeous
    erm too short for you did you say.... maybe ...my size perhaps ..you know i wouldnt normally mention birthdays and things like that ...ahem hem....just so you know i like em tight ..you cant strangle my wrist...T.x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since you tweaked the pattern could you write out the directions or would that be wrong? I would love to make it but I tried to watch the video but I just couldn't. The bracelet is absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, but I can't do that because it's not my pattern.

      Delete
  4. please can you do a written procedure. cox the vedioo isn't opening at my end. I. will be more than grateful. thannk you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I can't because it's not my pattern. Sorry.

      Delete
  5. do you think it would lay properly if I made it into a necklace? adjusting the links in between would probably be ok. wondering if the motifs would be too heavy and tend to flip. thanks and great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried it but the designer had a necklace posted on her blog at one time so it must work.

      Delete
    2. Also, this is not a heavy bracelet by any means. The motifs are small and delicate.

      Delete
    3. thanks! I'll give it a try. I think it would be great and I have a lot of super duos. appreciate your fast response...a beader needs to bead!

      Delete
    4. I wonder if you could ask if you could write them in English or do a video in English? She can only say no. 😍

      Delete
  6. What is the stitch called that links the motifs together. I am just getting started and am trying to figure things out. You have done a beautiful job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Terry. That's basic Right Angle Weave or RAW.

      Delete
  7. I would love to make this however i need it in english

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I know, this is the only version available.

      Delete
  8. Linda, could you consider making a video showing us how to do this bracelet? I am a beginner beader and really need the slow instruction with close ups to show me how to make this, also clarification on materials needed. Please consider. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue. I'm afraid that I don't know a thing about making videos and I don't have a camera to do so anyway. Also, the designer of this bracelet would not be pleased if someone made a video tutorial of their design.

      Delete
  9. I was under the impression that this was designed as a wrap bracelet??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think you are right about that.

      Delete
    2. I just watched the video again and she is actually making a chain for a necklace. Of course it would also work as a wrap bracelet.

      Delete
  10. As much as I would like a written pattern, I so honor you for not infringing on someone else's pattern(s). That's "beader etiquette". I hope others understand the concept. Your web page is beautiful and thank you for responding to everyone's questions. You are very thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for understanding and for your kind words.

      Delete
  11. I tried to watch the video and it's not friendly at all. Would love to make this. A shame you cant do a video of pattern yourself. I really enjoy your instructions on your videos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. The video is hard to watch and see what she's doing besides it not being in English. I was able to get the gist of it then came up with my own method for making it. I don't have any videos myself and don't have the means to make them.

      Delete
  12. Salve a tutti, io però non trovo giusto pubblicare foto se non si mettono poi anche le procedure. Giusto è dare la possibilità a tutti di poter eseguire i lavori!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Puoi guardare il video per imparare a realizzare il braccialetto. Questo è quello che ho fatto.

      Delete