Tuesday, November 4, 2014

"Halo" SuperDuos

After the trouble that I had recently with some Halo fire polish beads (read my post HERE), I've been hesitant to order any SuperDuos with the same finish. Well, a local shop just got some in and they had a 20% off sale over the weekend. That was great because then I could see them in person and decide if I liked them or not and I could also check to see if they have any defects. Spring Beads only had a limited color selection but they did have two of the colors that I wanted the most: Halo Linen and Halo Regal. I haven't had a chance to try them out yet but they appear to be without defects other than the odd plugged hole, which is common with SuperDuo beads.

HALO LINEN
HALO REGAL
A couple of online sources for Halo SuperDuo beads are Red Panda and Aria Design Studio. Aria has the best color selection. Red Panda only has them in two colors. Two other colors that I'd like to buy sometime are Halo Heavens and Halo Shadows.

Deena, the owner of Spring Beads, is trying to talk me into teaching some bead weaving classes there next year. I've never taught a beading class before but I do have a little teaching experience. I taught computer graphics for a few years at a local computer club. I certainly could use the money but I'm not sure yet what pattern(s) I would teach. I'm also a little worried that nobody would sign up for my class. Do any of you live in the Houston area and would you be interested in attending a class taught by me? The shop is in Old Town Spring.

 

12 comments:

  1. I wish I lived close enough to attend your class because I would love to go! I live in MN. If the class advertisement includes a link to your blog, I don't think you will have any trouble getting people signed up. Your work is beautiful and inspiring. Hope this works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Are you sure you won't drive down for the class, LOL?

      Delete
  2. Ditto what Ladyslipper said. The items shown in your blog are beautiful. As I mentioned before, it is starting to cost me a bit of cash. I am in MI so maybe I can pickup Ladyslipper on my way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On your way perhaps if you go across through the UP into Minnesota and on down to Texas.

      Delete
  3. Go for it!! Your work is beautiful and you have so much to share. I wish I lived close enough I would love to take a class with you. The distance is a deal breaker we live in British Columbia, Canada. The shop you taught at would certainly benefit . I have spent a small fortune on beads lately so I could try some of the patterns and color combinations you do so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ann. Sorry for making you spend so much money on beads, LOL. I just ran up to the local bead shop to get a pack of needles and ended up spending over $10 on needles and some Chinavoski crystals that I couldn't resist. At least I had enough frequent shopper points accumulated to get 10% off.

      Delete
  4. Beading is definitely addictive. Wish we had a bead store here but probably just as well we don't. I find enough tempting things online but shopping in person would be so much more fun. We live 7 miles from the Idaho border so I am able to have an American post office box which really cuts down on the cost of shipping. Getting your 10% makes me smile I find myself adding things to the cart to make sure I have enough to qualify for free shipping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the same thing for free shipping. Doesn't everyone do that?

      Delete
  5. just a note I bought Neon dark blue super duos from scara beads. I made an earring iut of them and then noticed that the color had come off several of the beads. She respondedthe next day and said she was sorry that perhaps may hands had been wet when I handled them. She said she could send me more beads or offered a refund. Obviously the colored finish they put on them is water soluable. Just thought I would let you know as anyone making a bracelet might be in for a terrible suprise if they got the beads wet. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had a similar experience with some SuperDuo bead finishes. It seems to happen when I've made samples of a pattern to try it out and then took the samples apart and re-used the beads. I think it's caused by the beads rubbing against each other while working with them. I think if I hadn't taken the work apart, the rubbed off bits might not have been noticeable because it would have been between the beads. For the most part though, I haven't had too much trouble with that sort of thing.

      I don't know about SuperDuos but some seed beads are labeled as "dyed" and those finishes can pretty easily get rubbed off.

      Delete
  6. Oh geez...I sure wish I did! Just found your blog and am just loving your work. I would love to learn bead weaving since seeing your things. I'm sure you'd have no problems filling up a class!

    ReplyDelete