Saturday, March 1, 2014

Bracelet of the Day: St. Petersburg Chain


ST. PETERSBURG CHAIN

This bracelet was a gift from Teejay so I can't give you a list of the beads it contains. St. Petersburg Chain isn't one of my favorite stitches. I don't enjoy doing it and I'm not crazy about the look of it most of the time. However, I love this bracelet and I love wearing it. Because of the dark colors of the beads, the "St. Pete" look doesn't stand out and it's very soft and comfortable to wear. The two main things that I don't like about the stitch are that there's no neat way to end it and attach a clasp and also because the design is asymmetrical. I don't know why, but that bothers me. I like my bracelets to have a "center". So, this may end up being the one and only St. Petersburg bracelet that I'll ever wear unless Teejay comes up with another one that's as nice as this one.

I made the earrings with some charms from Beads One. I think the pair cost me about a quarter to make.

Here are some links to various tutorials for St. Petersburg Chain:

Fire Mountain Gems

Aboutdotcom

YouTube - Double St. Petersburg Chain

Off the Beaded Path (YouTube Video)

Lirigal - This one is the one that I found the easiest to understand and follow.

Below is a sample that I made a long time ago. I've never made a complete St. Pete bracelet.




I thought you might like to see the samples I made yesterday using the new "suede" SuperDuo beads that I bought recently. The only place I've seen them so far is at Aria Design Studio on Etsy. They come in several colors and they have a different finish than other SuperDuo beads. They're metallic matte with a kind of soft glow.


The pale, almost green ones are called "Metallic Suede Gold" and the darker ones in the earring on the left are "Metallic Suede Olive". They also come in a couple of shades of purple, teal, brown and pink. I made the bracelet sample with Deb Roberti's "Farfalle Bracelet" pattern which you can buy HERE. There is no pattern for the earrings. I based them on a photo that I saw online somewhere.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment